Paper Piecing Quilt Blocks with Tracing Paper or Carol Doak's Foundation Paper

I'm a newbie quilter. I've only completed one quilt, but I expect to make many more because I really enjoy quilting. Recently I learned how to paper piece quilt blocks. Now I'm addicted to it.

My printer paper was too heavy, so I used tracing paper instead. I liked tracing paper because I could see through it (see pic below), but that's really the only reason. 






Not all printers will print on tracing paper without a lot of headaches, but my Canon MX492 BLACK Wireless All-IN-One Small Printer with Mobile or Tablet Printing, Airprint and Google Cloud Print Compatible prints flawlessly on tracing paper. 

The only problem with the tracing paper (well, and it has to be trimmed to fit the printer) is that when it's ironed it curls up (a little) on the edges. I found Carol Doak's Foundation Paper at a local fabric store that's specifically for paper piecing quilt blocks, and surprisingly, it's easier to remove from the fabric than the tracing paper. That's what I'll be using from now on.


The fabric is from Missouri Star Quilt Company. This fabric is a 10" layer cake called Artisan Spirit - Shimmer Favorites TilesThe fabric has a shimmer to it because of the metallic finish. LOVE IT!


Hopefully, after I paper piece the 120 blocks I need to make the quilt, it will end up looking like this ....


This quilt pattern is called Endless Chain. I purchased it over at the make-it-do.com pattern shop. 





Comments