Video: How to remove foundation paper from paper pieced quilt blocks without breaking thread

This is how I trim my paper pieced blocks and remove the foundation paper. It seems like it's less time consuming because the paper comes off more completely than just randomly tearing it off. I also have had no thread breakage, yet.

I use Carol Doaks foundation paper. It works the best for me, but there are other options.


Because of all the repositioning of the fabric, I used an OLFA 12" Rotating Self-Healing Rotary Mat. I have several quilting rulers, but the best one for the job was a Dritz ruler that I've had for so many years, I'm not even sure this one can even be found. The most important thing to check for is that when squaring the block and removing the paper the ruler should extend beyond the block, fabric and all. The ruler can also be too long and awkward. 

 

Place the ruler on line 2, just to the left of the threads. If the ruler is on top of the threads the paper will tear and leave little pieces of paper in the threads. If you're left-handed it might be easier to start on line 4. Pull straight up on the paper. It should sound like perforated paper tearing. 

Comments